‘I told the lads to expect a battle’ – Smith reacts to Tamworth’s win at Barwell

(Credit: Lambs Media)

Gary Smith thought Tamworth showed their battling qualities as they overcame a stubborn Barwell side to claim a first league win since mid-October.

In a game of little chances, Tamworth did well to weather a couple of spells from the home side before the game opened up late on.

Barwell were on home turf for the first time this season and made Tamworth wait for their goal.

Tamworth controlled large parts of the second half and were rewarded in the last-minute courtesy of Tyrell Waite, due reward for their dominance after the break.

Smith said: “I told the lads to expect a battle because Barwell wanted to win with it being their first home game for a while.

“We needed to be patient and I told the lads if we did that the goal would come. We got it right at the death and I think it was well deserved based on our second half performance.

“We were fantastic in the second half, and you could see the legs that we had on the break. 

“We just needed that bit of luck for one of those chances to hit the back of the net and I’m grateful that it did.”

Brady Hickey’s early chance was palmed away by Jas Singh before ex-Tamworth defender Kyron Stabana fired narrowly over the bar from the edge of the area.

Charlie Shaw almost had Tamworth ahead after 23 minutes. The midfielder spotted Liam Castle off his line and almost squeezed his long-range lob under the crossbar, but the keeper scrambled back to tip it over.

Mikey Taylor fluffed a golden chance moments later. After a dinked ball into him, Taylor couldn’t get any sort of meaningful contact on the ball and allowed Castle to gather with ease.


Chances continued to be few and far between for both sides after the break.

Hickey flashed a shot just wide on the hour mark before Shaw’s goal bound volley smashed into a Barwell defender.

Henri Wilder whipped a low cross into the box towards Alex Jones who flicked a leg at it only for Castle to save well with his legs.

Tyrell Waite went close with a close-range header before another nodded effort was saved on the line by Castle when it looked to be looping in.

But Waite wasn’t finished. With seconds left on the clock, Beswick swung a free kick into the six-yard area to Waite who rose unopposed to power a header into the ground and beyond Castle.

Barwell looked to respond in the little time that remained, but Tamworth got a sea of bodies behind the ball to deny the home side and hang on.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply