The Southern League have announced this morning that they won’t be rushing into any decisions about allowing fans to return to games.
Clubs in the Trident Leagues voted last week to continue the pause on the current season until either fans were back or a financial package was agreed.
The FA then announced that it would allow a limited return for spectators in Tier 3 with immediate effect, but the Southern League said they would wait for the government’s Tier review before making any decisions.
“The Trident Leagues welcome the decision to allow some fans into grounds situated in Tier 3 areas,” a statement on the Southern League’s website reads.
“However, in light of the decision of all 224 clubs only last week to vote overwhelmingly in favour of suspending the current season, the leagues have decided to wait to see the implications of the Government’s review of the Tier system in England – due on Wednesday (December 16th) – before making any further announcements.”
Tamworth haven’t played a league game since mid-October, leaving joint-boss Gary Smith desperate to get his squad together.
“We haven’t played but we really need to,” he said.
“The lads have looked after themselves and done bits with themselves, but you need games. We’re not getting games at the moment and that’s a shame.
“As a management team we’re all still in conversation about everything. We’re keeping the players working towards getting back and we can only commend them for that.
“We still want to get together as a group, we want to train together, we want to play together. But we can’t do anything.
“It’s a horrible situation to be in, I’m not sure the government have thought it through 100%.”